UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My father died about a month ago; he has a trustee. I am the daughter that he forgot about until my adult life when he came back into it. He left money for myself and half-brother and I spoke with the trustee previously and she took all my information personal down and I have yet to hear back since about 3 weeks. I sent her an email last week but no response. I called her today and left a message and she called me back. She stated she could not remember speaking with me previously or that I gave her my information. She then stated that my half-brother and aunt had told her previously that she was the daughter and that she was to get the half of the money. She then said that she called my half-brother yesterday and he then told her that the information he had given her the trustee before is our aunt. She seemed confused and said that she would let her assistant know and would be distributing the money to us. She said that she did not remember talking to be before but she did not ask me for my information again. What should I do?

Asked on May 14, 2019 under Estate Planning, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Trustees are bound by two complementary, mutually reinforcing duties: 1) to obey the terms of the trust and any instructions in it; and 2) to honor their law-imposed "fiduciary duty." The fiduciary duty is the duty imposed on someone who is controlling assets for others' benefit to (a) be loyal to those persons; (b) not benefit themselves at the expense of those who are supposed to benefit (often called "no self-dealing"); and (c) to exercise the degree of care in managing the assets and carrying out their duties that a reasonable person would exercise over their own assets.
A beneficiary, or someone who has a reasonable basis or grounds to believe they are a beneficiary, who believes that a trustee is not following the terms of the trust or not honoring his/her fiduciary duty can bring a kind of legal action in county court traditionally called an action "for an accounting." In this action, as the name implies, the beneficiary asks the court to make the trustee "account for" his or her actions--that is, demonstrate that he or she is honoring his/her duties and following the instructions. If a trustee is not, the court can order him or her to do (or not do) certain things, or replace him or her as trustee.
This kind of legal action is significantly more complex than, say, a small claims suit. You are strongly advised to retain an attorney (like a trusts and estates lawyer) to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption