Trust fund

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Trust fund

When I was 5 years old my father put a Trust in my name; he passed when I was 13; I was supposed to receive the Trust funds at the age of 18. I have no information but I think that I knw the name of the bank and the city in which the branch was located. How do I find out how to get this Trust fund?

Asked on May 9, 2019 under Estate Planning, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There really is no good way to do this other than a lot of legwork and a lot of luck: there is no central database or repository for this information, and trusts do not even need to be filed at all when they are created, so there is no way to do an online search or information request to a government unit to find out about a trust. All you can do is contact any possible banks or financial institutions; speak to family members or family friends who may have information; look through your father's papers, if you stil have (and still have access to) them; contact any lawyers or accountants he'd had, who may know something; etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption