What will happen regarding a trespass by motor vehicle charge?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen regarding a trespass by motor vehicle charge?

I swerved from hitting a deer and ended up getting stuck on private property. I received a citation for trespassing by

motor vehicle. I spoke with the property owners and they are not the ones who pressed charges, the officer did. I turned the damage into my insurance company and they are taking care of the damage. Can the officer still charge me with this?

Asked on June 7, 2017 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be charged: the state (that is the government, of which the officer is a repesentative) brings trespass cases; the landowner on whose land you allegedly "trespassed" may be awitness to the trespass or to the fact you were not invited on to the land, but is not in charge or control of the case; the authorities (e.g. the officer) are, and can charge you no matter what the landowner wants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption