What to do about tree roots along my property line that ar causing damage?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about tree roots along my property line that ar causing damage?

My neighbor has 3 large trees along our property line. The roots have upended my pavers in my yard. I would like to cut the roots but I am afraid the tree may die. My neighbor has told me to “just cut the roots”. What is my liability if I cut the roots and the tree died? And even worse, falls over and causes bodily injury or property damage?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A neighbor is responsible for damage that their tree does if they have notice or warning of the damage. If you have provided notice to the neighbor and they have not done anything about it, you could sue them. Basically, you would seek a court order requiring that the roots be cut or tree taken down; you could also possibly seek compensation for the damage that has already done.

The fact is that you are right to be wary of causing damage yourself. Even if you cut the roots with your neighbor's permission, if it dies they may try to claim some sort of negligence on your part and/or if it falls and damages someone else's roperty or injures someone, you are opening yourself up to a potential lawsuit. Whether or not you would be found liable is another matter but who needs that worry.

You again need to ask you neighbor to remove the roots; only this time do so in writing and send it to them certified mail, return receipt requested; be sure to mention that possible legal action may be taken if they do not comply with your request. Hopefully that will get their attention and compel them to take acton.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption