What to do if a neighbor’s tree is in danger of falling on my property?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a neighbor’s tree is in danger of falling on my property?

The tree is leaning and looks like it is about to fall into my yard. If it does it will certainly destroy my fence and possibly my shed. I will take pictures ASAP and send the neighbor a registered letter asking them to take remedial action. Does this cover me insurance-wise if the tree ultimately falls and causes the damage? Will the neighbor be liable?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If it appears that your neighbor's tree might fall onto your property causing damages, you should make sure that you have adequate homeowner's insurance to cover the possible damages that could result.

Unfortunately under the law you cannot force your neighbor to do anything about cutting down the tree if he or she does not wish to. If the tree falls on your property and damages things, your neighbor will have no liability for what happened in the the falling of the tree is deemed an action of nature.

I suggest that you offer to pay for part of the tree's removal or offer to remove it yourself and see what the neighbor's reaction will be explaining your concern that it may cause damage to your property.

Taking photographs is fine. Sending a registered letter seeking remedial action from the neighbor most likely will do more harm than good for you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption