Travel Expenses

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Travel Expenses

I’m a 100 commissioned salesperson. I pay all my own expenses, including car, gas, repairs. The only thing my employer pays for is 1/2 my medical insurance premium. 3 yrs ago we could send gas expense and receive that amount paid back to us pre-tax. 2015 that was changed and we were able to take our miles ourselves times the 53.5 cents per mile and were able to take it off our taxable income. In 2018 that isn’t available……now what our options for being compensated for our expenses?

Asked on January 19, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are no options, unfortunately: the law does not require employees to pay for or reimburse travel expenses. Rather, employees can be required to foot these costs themselves. Your employer may reimburse you but cannot be required to; they can make you pay your own expenses without reimbursement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption