How to transfer title to real estate?

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to transfer title to real estate?

My wife and I live in her grandfather’s house. He just passed away and we would like to have the house put into our name. My wife’s mom is listed as “c/o” at the county which I assume is co-owner. We are not sure what our next steps should be.

Asked on April 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am a little confused by your question.  Did you inherit the house through her Grandfather's Will?  Because unless you did I do not see that you have any ownership interest in it at all.  If "c/o" means "co-owner" - and I a not sure that it does - then depending if there are "rights of survivorship" her Mother either owns it all or owns half of it.  And then whomever the heirs are at law they own the other half.  ANd depending on all of that, the house may have to go through probate.  Get some help from an attorney in your area.  But I would start either looking to buy the place from the party or parties that inherited it or find a new home.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption