How to transfer titles to a deceased’s motor vehicles?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to transfer titles to a deceased’s motor vehicles?

I live in NY and my father passed away; he had no Will, no spouse but 5 children. He owned motor vehicles and RV/campers. What is the legal process to get the ownership of these transferred?

Asked on January 15, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You should seek help from an attorney in your area on the matter.  Certain information is needed to properly guide you here.  Are the only assets the RV's and motor vehicles?  Are they value more than $30,000.00?  Are there any children under 21?  The Administratorof the Estate - the person that is appointed by the court to be the personal representative when there is no Last Will and Testament - will have to transfer the title to the vehicles or sell them and distribute the assets to each of the children equally, after the payment of the debts of the estate and the taxes. The assets will also have to be valued for estate purposes. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption