Can a cop force me to become an informer?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a cop force me to become an informer?

I was pulled over for swerving into another lane. The cop asked to search my car; I gave him the OK. He found a marijuana grinder and pipe, plus a straw that had a white substance in it looking like cocaine in the backseat. He then said this could all go away if I help bust people and told me if that if I don’t call him tomorrow, he’s going to take me to jail for all that he found. He never field tested the straw for cocaine which I know it won’t test possitive. What can I do?

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The police will likely hold the confiscated evidence along with the threat of an arrest and criminal charges over your head in exchange for your help as an informant. The problem is that there is never a guarantee that the police will fulfill there end of the bargain by not filing criminal charges if you assist them. Ultimately the choice is yours to make, but with the items the cop found you could be charaged with possession of drug paraphernalia. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption