Traffic noise

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Traffic noise

What if I purchased a home and they didn’t
disclose how much freeway traffic noise there
would be if we opened our windows? We only
discovered this once we moved in. If we were
to go forward with asking for compensation,
how do we calculate that?

Asked on September 17, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't sue them for compensation, because they had no obligation to warn you about traffic noise. A home seller's only obligation is to disclose features of the property itself, like whether it floods, whether it has knob-and-tube wiring, whether there are structural issues, etc. A seller is under no duty to disclose factors about the neighborhood, roads, community, etc. including traffic, traffic noise, whether there are group homes or rehabilitation centers in the area, whether it is a high crime area, etc. Since they had no duty to disclose the traffic noise, there is no basis for recovering compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption