If I was in accident and the at-fault driver totaled my car, what damages amI entitled to?

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in accident and the at-fault driver totaled my car, what damages amI entitled to?

Totaled car; college student who commutes. Insurer is slow to determine fault, so I did not want to rent car as I was unsure if I would get repaid. As college student, I needed car to commute over an hour to school. I have no way of getting to school now, and had to withdraw from classes, thus losing 50% of my tuition; there is also the potential of my being dismissed from school. Can I claim special damages from the insurance company for lost 50% tuition, and possibly sue if it results in a dismissal?

Asked on February 5, 2011 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you may not claim special damages such as the lost tuition and also any consequences of dismissal from the insurer, nor may you sue the other driver for those amounts. The causal link is too attenuated--among other things, you could have rented a car; taken mass transit; car pooled; bought a "beater" on the cheap; potentially bicycled or gotten a moped or the like; etc.--and also unforeseeable--there is no way for the at-fault driver to foresee that a consequence of a car accident is someone withdrawing from classes under these circumstances. The lack of sufficiet causal link or foreseeability precludes recovery. You could recover the cost of the car or repairs; of mass transit or rental if you took it; for any medical  costs; for towing; for any of your other property damaged in the accident--but not the costs you describe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption