What to do if I went to visit an abandoned mine today to explore it but I may have tresspassed?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I went to visit an abandoned mine today to explore it but I may have tresspassed?

I drove to the location and park outside of a gate. The gate had “no trespassing” etched into it maybe in paint but wasn’t connected to a fence so I went around and it proceeded to walk along the trail. I didn’t find the mine or anything and was on the property for about 30 minutes. A guy came and took pictures of me and my car and told me I was in the wrong place. Could anything happen?

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written you seemingly trespassed upon another person's land. As a result there may be a civil or criminal complaint filed against you for what transpired. The key question is proving when you were on the site where you could assert the pictures are old and any claim is time barred. I doubt anything will happen to you based upon what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption