What are my rights if I feel that I was wrongfully terminated?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I feel that I was wrongfully terminated?

New Link Destination
day I went into my boss’s office asking for a written statement of why I did not get paid my vacation time. My boss then asked me to go speak to him and his wife at a different office. I declined going to her office because I didn’t want to give them a chance to make up false statements of what occurred with no witnesses around. He then called the police so that they can escort me out of the building. The police officers then made me aware that I had been fired. Can I sue for wrongful termination?

Asked on September 10, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

An employee can sue for wrongful termination if the terms of an employment contract express or implied was breached. Additionally, an employer's action cannot violate the terms of a union or collective bargaining agreement, company policy, nor can it constitute an act of discrimination or retaliation.
d on the limited facts given, none of the above appear to come into play. Accordingly, your employer can set the terms and conditions of employment which includes how, when, why to dismiss an employee much as it sees fit. This means that you could have been discharged for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption