If I had an accident and filed a police report containing false information, what will happen if they find out that I lied?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had an accident and filed a police report containing false information, what will happen if they find out that I lied?

Today I was in a parking lot and was not looking as a car was backing up. I ran into it. We both got out; his car was fine but mine was not. He left and said he wasn’t going to call the cops. I didn’t know what to do and was scared that my parents would make me pay, so I lied and said I was waiting for someone to cross the street and a person just backed into me. I went to park but he just drove off. I don’t think there were any cameras in the parking lot but I don’t know for sure. I had to file a police report and will call my insurer tomorrow.

Asked on December 29, 2014 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Giving a false police report is a lie. So is lying to your insurer--in fact, that is insurance fraud, which is a felony. The longer you lie, and the more elaborate you make the lie, the worse it will be for you when the lie finally comes out. You are better off NOT telling your insurer a falsehood; coming clean to your parents; and then, with your parents, speaking in detail about the situation to a local attorney and seeing how best to correct the police report so as to minimize liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption