What to do if I’m named as the executor of my father’s estate?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m named as the executor of my father’s estate?

The good news is that there is no estate – no assets, no property. There are items listed in the Will but they no longer exist. The personal possessions listed are no longer in his possession, and there are no monies, insurance benefits or anything else. What legal responsiblities do I have to put this to bed? He lived in another state.

Asked on June 28, 2013 under Estate Planning, Georgia


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If there are no assets in your father's estate and no debts owed to him, then there is nothing for the executor to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption