Title with in-laws

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Title with in-laws

Hi, We live in CA, my spouse plans to buy home but wants to add my in-laws name
along with us in title. I don’t want that? Can I stop it by not signing the title
document since I believe its must for me to sign as its community state.


Asked on August 1, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You cannot be forced to add anyone else to the deed of a home you are buying; you can refuse to go through with the transaction and not purchase the house. That does not mean that you can necessarily buy it with your husband without his parents, since if he insists on adding them, he could refuse to buy the home unless they are on the deed, too. You and he have to work out between yourselves what you want to do; otherwise, neither of you can force the other to buy a house if that person doesn't agree with it is proposed to be bought.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption