Does the title of a car need to be is the same name as the person whose name that the insurance is in?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the title of a car need to be is the same name as the person whose name that the insurance is in?

I bought a car for my daughter and she lives with her mother in TX. They live in another county. Her mother wants the car in my name and she will carry the automobile insurance; she wants the car in my name so she doesn’t have to claim my daughter as the “primary” driver. Can she do this? Does it matter who’s name the title of the car is in?

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Insurance Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The basic question that you are asking here is if you can insure a car that you do not own, which is what your ex wife wants to do.  She wants you to be the registered owner while she insures the vehicle for travel for herself.  Now, this is technically insurance fraud so no attorney is going to advise you commit a crime.  But I can tell you that people insure cars that they do not own every day in a number of different ways.  And that it would NOT protect you as the registered owner if someone else was named on the policy.  So I would advise you to have insurance coverage as well. I think that you have a lot to discuss with your ex.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption