What documentation is needed regarding a foreclosed home?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What documentation is needed regarding a foreclosed home?

My home was foreclosed. I received no notice from the court. The new owner showed up and said that I have 30 days to move. Upon asking the new owner for documents showing that she was the owner, I see that the court documents only list one previous owner as the defendant. My name is not on the court papers. Does this mean that the documents were filed wrong and need to be refiled? Can I do anything to have these court

documents amended? I need more time to move.

Asked on November 4, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If proper notice to you was not given, so you never had any chance to appear in the case and defend your interests, you can likely get the foreclosure voided. That doesn't mean that foreclosure will not eventually happen, but they may have to refile and try this again, providing proper notice to all owners.
However, the law regarding foreclosures and the required notice is very technical--it is not something most laypeople can deal with. You are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption