ticket for marijuana

UPDATED: May 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 2, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

ticket for marijuana

called for a disturbance, police came and asked person to leave, they saw and confiscated my marijuana and pipe (small amount). they came back in about 15 minutes to write me a possession ticket. I refused to sign it.

Asked on May 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, Wyoming


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not sure how you think refusing to sign the ticket would be helpful.  It won't stop the police from pressing charges against you, and it might make it necessary for them to arrest you instead.

In Wyoming, as in many other states, there is a section in the drug law that allows first offenders for small amounts of drugs to have the proceedings suspended, under certain conditions.  What this means is that no guilty verdict is entered, and the person has no criminal record, and if they stay out of trouble for a certain period of time and obey the terms of their probation during that time, the charges get dropped.  This is the best possible way to get through a drug charge!

But, you have no right to get suspended proceedings, it's up to the prosecutor.  If you get the police angry at you, you might not have the opportunity.  What's more, the fact that the police found drugs in your possession might give them enough reason to get a search warrant for you home.

From what you've said, the police caught you, fair and square.  Making life difficult for the police isn't usually a good idea, because they have a lot more ways to make your life difficult.  You might want to go to the police station and just sign the ticket.  Or, you can talk to a lawyer about your choices.  You can find a lawyer at http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption