three people own land, one wants to sell, do the other have to sell

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

three people own land, one wants to sell, do the other have to sell

in ky me and my sisters own land one sisters wants to sell,does the other two
have to buy her out.or say no to her

Asked on October 20, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can be made to sell. When joint owners of property cannot agree as to ownership matters, there is a legal remedy known as "partition". In such an action, the judge will order that the property be divided, if it's possible. If not, such as in the case of a single family house, then the judge will order a "sale in lieu of partition". This means that the property will be put on the market and when an offer for fair market value is made, accepted and the sale is completed, the proceeds will be equitably distributed among all of the owners. First, however, the party (or parties) who want to keep the property will be given the chance to buy out the other owners who don't want to sell. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption