Threatened with assault charges and possible law suit, how do we proceed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Threatened with assault charges and possible law suit, how do we proceed?

Our teenage son was with other friends. They were all tickling each other’s ear with a glow stick. One boy tickled my son’s ear. When my son tickled this boys ear back, the boy turned his head the glow stick went into his ear. The boy’s father came to our house the next morning threatening charges. He says his son woke up with a bloody ear they took him to the emergency room.

Asked on September 30, 2017 under Personal Injury, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Don't say anything to anyone about it. Anything you or your son say could be used against him potentially: for example, what you think is a reasonable apology could, depending on how it is phrased, be taken as an admission of fault or responsibility. This includes preventing your son from texting anyone about it (texts can be forwarded, printed out for future reference, etc.) or posting on social media about this. You can't control if the father wants to try to sue (e.g. for any out-of-pocket medical costs) or press charges--all you can do is avoid saying or doing anything to escalate the situation and avoid admitting, even unintentionally, fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption