What to do if my friend sold a car on Craigslist and the guy who bought the car paid with a fraudulent cashier’s check?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my friend sold a car on Craigslist and the guy who bought the car paid with a fraudulent cashier’s check?

The title has already been transferred into the new owners name. Can my friend report the car stolen? Or does he just have to file check fraud charges and sue for the car back?

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you live in a state that allows friendly tows, I would say hire someone to tow the car as the check was fraudulent but since the individual had already placed title in his name, that may trigger criminal charges. The better route is to go immediately to the police, show the check and verification from the bank that it is fraudulent, explain the car was basically stolen (scammed) and see if the police will help get your vehicle back.  Otherwise, your friend may just need to sue but expect that to be a long battle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption