What can I expect to happen in court if I was charged with using someone else’s ID?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I expect to happen in court if I was charged with using someone else’s ID?

I am a minor (I’m 17). I ended up getting a ticket and i have to go to court. I have been freaking out cause I’ve never ever been in trouble. My ticket said misidentifcation. Do you think I’ll get put on probation?

Asked on June 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok so listen:  calm down and you need to tell either your parents or another adult you trust and get legal help.  Yes, you are 17 but that is really close to18 and you need to make sure that this matter stays behind you going forward.  So you need to get legal help when you go to court.  Listen, did you use the identification to get in to a bar or buy alcohol?  It is not like you were stealing their identity, correct?  I am not trying to make light of it but the circumstances surrounding it are important details that need to be properly presented to the court.  And the way that happens is to have someone else who knows how to present them do it for you.  Take a deep breath and go get help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption