What can I do about an insurance claim that seems to have gotten stalled?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about an insurance claim that seems to have gotten stalled?

A car was rear-ended by a garbage truck over a month ago. They sent out an appraiser weeks ago and then went silent. The driver’s insurance company won’t return my calls and the claim is stalled what can I do? Its now 31 days and I’ve left them dozens of messages they refuse to do anything to settle the claim.

Asked on September 9, 2014 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can't force the other driver's insurance to respond to you (after all: they are the *other* driver's insurer, not yours, and have no duty or obligation to you). What you can do is sue the other driver (e.g. the driver of the truck personally) and also the company or municipality he worked for or which owned the truck, for  the damage done to your vehicle. When you do that, the insurer should step in and try to either settle or defend the claim. A lawsuit is how to try to force the other party and/or their insurer to compensate you when they do not do so voluntarily. For smaller amounts, you might sue in small claims, acting as your own attorney; for larger amounts, you should retain a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption