What to do about an alleged trademark/copyright infringement?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an alleged trademark/copyright infringement?

My company creates t-shirts for various causes. We’ve partnered with a foundation and came up with a 2 word slogan. We have been selling the shirts for about 6 months and just received an email from a gentleman claiming that he copyrighted the slogan. We searched the copyrights and could not find this. It is my understanding that a slogan couldn’t be copyrighted and that we would be OK to sell the shirts.

Asked on October 30, 2013 under Business Law, New Jersey


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Copyright does not protect slogans.  However, a slogan may be protected by a trademark.  Check to see if the gentleman has filed the slogan as a trademark.  Ask him in which state(s) he registered the trademark, if he did in fact register it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption