What are my rights if my former employer made false allegations about me reagrding a theft at work?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my former employer made false allegations about me reagrding a theft at work?

This happened about 3 weeks ago. I work at a jewelry storewas accused of stealing gold. When my boss brought it to my attention I gave him permission to search my belongings, even my car for the stolen gold. He did not find anything because I didn’t steal anything. I was the only person that had my things searched even though there were 2 others working. He brought in a police officer and from what I understand I was the only suspect. I have yet to speak to a detective and the officer didn’t talk to me. About a week or so late, overheard my co-workers joking about whether my boss would fire me to my face or over the phone. He ended up firing me the next day after my shift. Would I be able to sue for defamation? I can’t afford a lawyer.

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you first consult with a representative at your local department of labor to see what legal recourse you may have over your termination from work. You should also make a claim for unemployment benefits as well and see if your employer contests such or not. If he or she does not, then the employer will be hard pressed to claim that you were terminated over a theft issue.

As to a possible defamation claim, contact your local legal aid clinic to see if there is an attorney who can give you legal advice or even representation as to your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption