If a speeding ticket has mistakes on it, can that be used to get it dismissed?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a speeding ticket has mistakes on it, can that be used to get it dismissed?

I received a ticket for going 30 over but the officer put my dad’s name and licence number on the ticket. I want to know if I can get this ticket dismissed or what I can do about it?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under General Practice, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the speeding ticket has placed the wrong information upon it, the person whose name and driver's license can end up having to deal with a problem that he or she was not even involved in from the start.

In your situation, you were cited for speeding but the citing officer incorrectly issued it to yourfather. If the ticket is not paid when due or contested in a timely manner, then the fines for it will increase where a possible hold on your father's driver's license renewal may result as well as inability to renew his automobile insurance.

The ticket cannot be dismissed all together due to incorrect naming of your father in your place. I suggest you show up in court and explain to the judge hearing the issue what happened and how you were the one driving not your father to clear up the issue. If the citing officer fails to attend the hearing, the ticket may be dismissed.

Potentially the judge may reduce the fine if the citing officer shows at the hearing for you being honest over what happened.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption