What to do if a co-owner refuses to pay her share of property taxes?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a co-owner refuses to pay her share of property taxes?

There are 3 owners of the home; we all live together. 2 of us have paid our 1/3 of the home taxes but the last owner refuses to pay their share. We don’t want a lien on the home and the non-paying owner will not sign over their 1/3 share to us.

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Well, you can pay it and then sue her for the money as it is also her obligation.  She does not have to sng over her share to the other two of you as she is entitled to her share of the fair market value.  So have you considered buying her out?  Otherwise you may be stuck selling the property and splitting it as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption