What to do if our city failed to properly test out drinking water and I got sick?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if our city failed to properly test out drinking water and I got sick?

There was coliform bacteria found in our drinking water. The city did not check samples. There was lead found also. I got a fungi and was sick for 2 months. Do I have a case?

Asked on June 25, 2011 under General Practice, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may have a claim for negligence against the city.  Prior to filing a lawsuit against the city, a city usually has a claims procedure which involves obtaining claim forms and filing a claim against the city within a specific period of time.  After the city denies your claim, which is standard procedure, you can then proceed with your lawsuit for negligence.  If you miss the deadline for filing your claim against the city, you won't be able to proceed with your subsequent lawsuit.

You should obtain your medical reports and medical bills.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your illness and will be used to determine the amount of compensation you receive for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to your medical bills.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for any documented wage loss is also straight reimbursement. 

You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption