What to do about a theft charge under $5000?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a theft charge under $5000?

I recently was charged for stealing money from our lunch room. In our lunch room there is honor system for buying pop and snacks. A few months ago I didn’t have any change just a large bill so I decided I’d put in that large bill and then whenever I didn’t have cash I’d just deduct it from that. Over the next few months I slowed my drink/snacks until for a few weeks I didn’t even go to the lunch room. This month I needed some extra cash so I thought I would just take back the money that I had put in since I no longer went there (decided to just drink water). I was charged and now I have to also go to restorative justice meetings. Can this meeting be used against me at court?

Asked on July 15, 2013 under Criminal Law, District of Columbia


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You would need to confer with an attorney licensed in the state involved for an answer. If you are presently represented by a criminal defense attorney, do speak to her/him. You seem to state that you are wrongfully being accused, and your attorney needs to know that. If you are not represented by an attorney, you certainly need help now. You should not post details of this matter on a public website.  Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Phone: 612-296-9666


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption