If the water company broke my curb stop, can they threaten and make me fix it?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the water company broke my curb stop, can they threaten and make me fix it?

A few months ago the water company came to my residence to shut off my water. In the process they broke the curb stop, the valve in the front yard that controls the water. Since then I paid my bill and have kept current. It is a slow leak and I still have semi-functional water service to my residence. The water company tells me it is my responsibility to fix this leak. I have gotten a few quotes and it is going to be several thousand to repair. Today I received a letter stating that if I don’t have it fixed in a week, they will repair it, charge me for the cost and shut off my service.

Asked on August 5, 2012 under General Practice, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entrely possible for the water company to charge you for the "curb stop" that its representative broke. However, under the laws of all states of this country, the water company is responsible for replacing it at its cost. After all, its representative broke it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption