What can I do if the trustee of my mother’s Trust refuses to distribute personal property according to the terms of the Trust?

UPDATED: May 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if the trustee of my mother’s Trust refuses to distribute personal property according to the terms of the Trust?

She has signed a document stating that she has taken possession of the property and distributed them to the heirs. What can I do without having to take this to a court? The attorney office that wrote up the documents asked me to sign a statement that I received my share. I did not sign the paper and I have not received my share. The document was signed about 15 months ago.

Asked on May 18, 2014 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should first seek independent counsel to write on your behalf.  Have him or her send a letter to the attorney for the Trustee as to the distribution.  A Trustee also has to file certain fiduciary documents yearly and you should have your attorney take a look at them.  From what you have said there could be a breach of duty here and court may be inevitable.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption