Can the police department see and use a sealed and expunged incident against me?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police department see and use a sealed and expunged incident against me?

I happened to get arrested around the age of 13-14 for Domestic Violence that was dropped to an M1 Disorderly Conduct in the state of Ohio, I have had a clean record since that one incident. I have had it sealed and expunged When I turned 18 so I could enlist into the Marine Corps. I was denied at first but then later on accepted into the Marine Corps upon that incident finally being expunged and sealed. I am highly interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement after I get out of the Marine Corps, is there going to be any issue with landing a job due to that one incident? Do I still have to admit to that one incident in the paperwork since it has been sealed and expunged?

Asked on October 20, 2019 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, once it is sealed and exunged, it is essentially retroactively gone, like it never happened--especially for employment purposes. They cannot access the records and you do not have to, and should not, disclose the offense (since disclosing it wipes out the whole purpose of expungement).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption