If the property deed is in both names, can one party leave their share to someone else?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the property deed is in both names, can one party leave their share to someone else?

What about the items needed to take care of the house, will they stay with the house?

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Absent a written agreement to the contrary between the joint owners of the property that you have written about, each can sell or give their ownership interest in the property to another person if they choose to do so.

As to items needed to take care of the house, such need to be described in your question as to what they are for an answer to be given to that inquiry. If such items are fixtures, they remain with the home absent an agreement to the contrary.

If the items are not fixtures, the person who owns them can do what they wish to unless such items are jointly owned.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption