If the person who is on the mortgage with me is filing bankruptcy, how does this effect me?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the person who is on the mortgage with me is filing bankruptcy, how does this effect me?

They tried to get out of paying for the house since they can’t afford their half anymore. All they did was take their name off the title. I know I could take them to court to pay for their half of the loan. I am the primary on the loan.

Asked on October 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a partnership concerning a home where your partner filed for bankruptcy protection, the end result will be that if the petition is approved and a discharge is granted, you will be the sole person obligated on the loan for the home.

If that happens, you have no ability legally to claim any amounts owed on the home that you are paying for from the person who filed for the bankruptcy if there is a discharge. Meaning, you cannot take your partner to court to have him or her pay their half of the loan on the home that you are writing about.

I suggets that you consult with an attorney about the situation that you are in.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption