the penalties for falsly claimimg to be a power of att.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

the penalties for falsly claimimg to be a power of att.

My wife and sis-in-law were made legal power of att. for their sister. We found out my brother in law has claimed to be POA to the IRS. Is this legal and if not what are the penalties

Asked on February 14, 2018 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The penalties depend on what was done by or due to the false claim. It could be tax fraud, if the person falsely claiming used this as a basis to not pay all taxes or claim a refund in someone else's name. It could be theft, if he used the claim of power to take money or property from another, or fraud, if the claim was used to induce or cause someone to enter into a contract or do something; etc. The penalty depends on what is done (or attempted).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption