Is an employee entitled to a mileage reimbursement?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an employee entitled to a mileage reimbursement?

The owner of the company I work for gives me a millage check but is still paying me the 41.5 cents a mile from years ago. I have asked for the increase and was told no or no more millage checks. I will not be able to afford not getting a check, even with the tax write-off at end. Is this legal for him to pay me less? If not, what can I do about it?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal. There is no legal obligation or requirement whatsoever for an employer to reimburse its employees for mileage--it can make them foot that cost themselves. And since it is voluntary on the employer's part as to whether to pay mileage, the employer is also free to determine what rate it will reimburse at.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption