The lady I worked for is accusing me falsely of stealing money from register.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The lady I worked for is accusing me falsely of stealing money from register.

The lady I worked for sent me an email last night saying that I took money from
her on September 11th. I came in to the store to train a new employee. I had a
lady purchase a dress from the store and I rang it up incorrectly. I rang it up as
two dresses and she only wanted one. Because I do not work in the store
regularly and it was a new system I refunded the lady and gave her back her

The new employee was standing there next to me the entire time the transaction
took place. Can you please tell me what I need to do now?

Asked on October 6, 2019 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have already explained what happened. At this point, there is nothing you can or have to do unless she either tries to press charges, in which case you should retain an attorney to defend you, or tries to sue you for the money she claims you took, in which case you can either decide to give her the money she believes you took or else defend the matter in court and force her to prove to the court that you did steal, in order to get a judgment requiring you to pay her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption