By cashing an insurance check, am I closing my claim?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

By cashing an insurance check, am I closing my claim?

The insurance adjuster and the auto repair shop where I took my car for repairs reached a decision of how much they felt the repairs would cost. The insurance company sent me a check for that amount. I have paid for the repair with my visa. The auto shop did none of the work they charged for. The car is now sitting in my driveway unrepaired.

Asked on April 7, 2013 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Typically, cashing a check from an insurer does settle a case, or prevent you from seeking more from either that insurer or from the party (i.e. the person or business) they represent, though you could still potentially bring a legal action against an unrelated party. Example: say you were in a three-car accident and both other drivers were at fault. If you took a settlement check from driver A's insurer, you would be settling your claim vs. A, but may still be able to sue driver B.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption