What are my rights/reponsibilites as a tenant if the the house I live in was put up for auction?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights/reponsibilites as a tenant if the the house I live in was put up for auction?

It was put up for auction 6 months ago. I have not paid rent since; I thought that the landord was no longer the owner. Now they are suing me for the rent.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country when a rental becomes "distressed" and is subject to a foreclosure proceeding, the tenants in it are required to continue making their monthly rental payments to the owner of record of the unit, called the landlord.

In your matter, it seems that the rental was foreclosed upon and a new owner is now your landlord. Given your statement in your question that you have not paid rent for six (6) months, you owe rent to the owner of the property under the law. It is not right for you to live in a rental that you do not own and not pay rent. To resolve your situation I suggest that you speak with the new owner and get your rent caught up to date so you can remain in your rental if that is an option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption