What can i do if a garage has overcharged me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can i do if a garage has overcharged me?

My car went into the garage for repair. The garage quoted me $700 to repair it, however when I went to collect it they said they needed to do extra work to make the repair and invoiced me for $1,638. Are they legally bound to advise me of the cost and to get my authorization to carry out those works before they do them?

Asked on September 1, 2016 under Business Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they have to get your consent to additional work or costs. They don't always need specific "line-item" consent; for example, if you told them to do whatever needed to be done to get the work done and car repaired, that could be enough. But if you didn't give them blanket authority for whatever work was necessary but only agreed to what was in the quote or proposal, they cannot charge you beyond that.
The above said, if you and they can't work this out, you will likely end up in litigation, which is disruptive, takes time, and can be costly; it is in your interest to try to settle the matter with them, especially if the work was necessary (e.g. not fraudulent) and was done well. for example, you could offer to pay the additional parts cost beyond the $700, but either none of or a fraction of the additional labor cost. If you received good value, it's worth paying more than you thought you would, to avoid ending up in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption