What to do if the father of my 3 years old just served me with an expedited hearing for temporary custody?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the father of my 3 years old just served me with an expedited hearing for temporary custody?

My daughter and I just moved in with my mom, that is his “grounds.” That I do not have my “own place,” or a job (I am going to school more than full-time and just graduated from CNA school). I have been in outpatient treatment for 3 months, and he is using this as well to try and gain temporary custody. He has a law degree and is really scaring me. Is there any way this could go in his favor? I am a great mom. Yes I have had my problems but who hasn’t? I love my daughter more than anything in this world. I am terrified.

Asked on December 23, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that you have been just served with an expedited petition for temporary custody of your child by the other parent I suggest that you immediately consult with a family law attorney for help in opposing the petition. If you cannot afford an attorney, then you need to consult with your local legal aid clinic for help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption