What to do about a trustee who is violating the terms of the trust?

UPDATED: May 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a trustee who is violating the terms of the trust?

My mother passed away last year and had a Living Trust set up for my 2 brothers and I; 1 brother is the executor. He told me that he plans on charging us for all the time he put in for caring for our mother. I live out of state so this was not possible for me. He says he is planning on taking it from our shares (myself and my other brother). Can he do that? The trust spells out pretty specifically how the money is to be divided between the 3 of us. I’ve also found out that he has distributed money from the trust to people who aren’t even named in the trust. Isn’t that wrong?

Asked on May 1, 2011 under Estate Planning, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your mother.

You and your other sibling could sue the trustee for breach of fiduciary duty (breach of trust).  The trustee is to comply with the terms of the trust.  The trustee cannot take a portion of your shares and your other brother's share to compensate himself or distribute funds to others who are not named as beneficiaries of the trust.  Your lawsuit against the trustee should seek a constructive trust.  A constructive trust would require that any funds wrongfully taken by the trustee and/or wrongfully distributed to others be returned to the rightful owners (you and your other sibling), the beneficiaries.

There should also be a provision in the trust setting forth procedures for removal of the trustee and appointment of a successor trustee.  You and your other sibling should follow those procedures for removal of the present trustee and appointment of the successor trustee.  The trust provisions should have designated a successor trustee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption