What can I do if a doctor has overbilled me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if a doctor has overbilled me?

I have seen a psychiatrist a few times. She said each session costs $125 so I paid $125 for 1 session and $75 for another session to pay the deductible. Now I see insurance didn’t cover the amount but she charged me for $150 each session. Also, I paid her a $20 co-pay for each session but she didn’t consider this in the bill. She doesn’t reply to my emails. What can I do?

Asked on October 14, 2016 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can refuse to pay more than the amount she quoted you: tell her in writing (even in email, though better would be to email and also send a certified letter with tracking) that the agreed upon amount was $125; you already paid her $20 per session as a co-pay;  you therefore only owe her $115/session; and therefore that is the amount you will pay--will she kindly send you a revised bill.
If she still does not respond, you can either send her a check for the correct amount--which she will likely (but not guaranteed) accept as payment in full, rather than suing you for an extra $40/session)--or send her nothing, and wait to see if she sues. If you end up in court, a court will listen to your and her testimony about the billing and decide who is right and how much is owed.
Your other options if you can't come to agreement with her:
1) Contact the state board which licenses doctors, including psychiatrists, and explain there is billing dispute: they may be able to help you.
2) If your time is more valuable than the additional $40/session that she thinks you owe, pay her the full amount to be done with this issue and don't see her again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption