What if he DA sent letters to the wrong address and now I have a bench warrant out for my arrest?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if he DA sent letters to the wrong address and now I have a bench warrant out for my arrest?

I have not changed my atddress.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A bench warrant is nothing to sneeze about or to ignore.  If the District Attorney's office sent out the notice for you to appear for something (is that correct?) to the wrong address then it is their mistake but it really does not help you if you get hauled in in hand cuffs.  So you need to start by thinking simply: contacting the source and setting things straight.  That means the DA that is assigned to your case.  It is always a good idea to have your attorney do this for you.  Having some one in your corner is always best.  Then you need to surrender yourself voluntarily.  It is better for your case.  Your attorney can help with that too.  Once the mistake is cleared up the warrant should be lifted. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption