The court put wrong info on my record 15years ago ,I just got it changed today.Can I sue my lawyer?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The court put wrong info on my record 15years ago ,I just got it changed today.Can I sue my lawyer?

Fifteen years ago my son pleaded guilty to burglary of habitation,the court put on
his record aggravated robbery.Called my lawyer he had it changed,He is the same
lawyer that he gave the guilty plea.Can I sue the lawyer?

Asked on March 8, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Generally, the judgments in criminal cases are prepared by the DA's office, the court clerk, or the you would have to sue one of them for inputting the incorrect data.  Unfornately, each would have some degree of governmental immunity which would not make such a suit cost effective.  (The defense attorney would not have liability unless he actually made the incorrect entry on the actual judgment).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption