What can I do if the company I worked for, and resigned from over a week ago, has yet to pay me wages from up to a month ago?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if the company I worked for, and resigned from over a week ago, has yet to pay me wages from up to a month ago?

At first my payroll was not submitted my manager for payroll distribution. Since the next pay period was coming to a close the HR coordinator said she would put that hours in 1 check for last week’s pay period, which I reluctantly agreed to. However, the last 3 times we’ve spoken she said she submitted my hour to payroll and that she will get a UPS tracking number so that I can know when to expect the check but she never calls with that tracking number and I haven’t received a thing. She has even expressed that she has escalated the situation to upper level HR and payroll managers but I feel I am just getting the runaround.

Asked on September 27, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If they don't pay you, you can sue them for the money, such as in small claims court where you can act as your own attorney, to save on legal fees. That, unfortunately, is the only effective recourse to get your money. You therefore might want to inform your former employer that if not paid withing a reasonable period of time e.g. 5 business days, you will file a lawsuit for the money--hopefully, they will address the issue and pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption