What to do if the city only gave us 1 notice before letting us use almost $1000 in water?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the city only gave us 1 notice before letting us use almost $1000 in water?

About 2 billing cycles ago, we had an usually high water bill of around $250. Normally our bill is around $50. We did have a leaky set of water sprinkler valves, so I attributed it to that and had the set replaced. The next month, we received a notice from the city that we have high water usage, almost double from the previous month. I’m really dumbfounded since I know that nothing in the house leaks and we haven’t filled our pool for weeks due to rain. A plumber determined that the leak is between the valve on the street and the main of the house. I feel we’re not responsible.

Asked on April 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Speak with ana ttorney here becuase you ar going to need to get that valve fixed and figure out who is responsible in order to determine this issue as well.  In most cases the home owner is responsible for the the main that runs from their house to th street.  The city responsible for the main in the street.  You are correct that the issue is who is responsible for maintaining the valves?  Once determined then the rest can be figured out.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption