The child support department can order my bank Statements to see my savings?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The child support department can order my bank Statements to see my savings?

I’ve been giving money to my ex-wife for my
kids. Recently she file a suit for child support
custody. Can they order my bank Statement to
check my savings during the legal process of
child support case?

Asked on October 15, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

When seeking an enforcement, any party can make certain discovery requests.  These requests can be in the form of a subpoena or a request for production.  Any party can utilize discovery mechanisms....that includes the Attorney General.  This means that, yes, the AG can request or subpoena your bank records to fnd out where your funds are....from there....they can seize funds with the proper requests and orders to satisfy any unpaid child support obligations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption