What should I do about a hit and run?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do about a hit and run?

I was rear-ended yesterday (the damage is minor damage nevertheless) and the offender fled the scene. I managed to get the tag number of the vehicle prior to his fleeing the scene. When the officer arrived and checked out the tag that I gave him, it checked out. The vehicle matched and the description of the offender did as well. The officer seemed unwilling to help at first, however he contacted someone else, (don’t know who) and proceeded with the information about the report. He said the county sheriff would go to his house. It’s been just over 24 hours. Should I do one of those $40 searches to get the offender’s name and address and go from there?

Asked on November 24, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the damage is less than $1,000, it's most likely not worth doing anything: someone who hits and runs is unlikely to pay voluntarily, even if you sue him and get a judgment against him, which will mean you'd likely need to go to collections to get paid--and collections efforts can be frustrating, cost money, take time, and are not guaranteed to succeed. You could spend some money and a lot of time and effort to not get anything, so unless there's alot of money stake, it's generally not worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption